The Obelisk Scanner is used to both find Obelisks on your network, and to update
them to the latest firmware version. Download and install the appropriate version
for your operating system from the links below.
Please read the information in our user guide on how to
Upgrade your Obelisk Firmware.
NOTE: For Gen 1 Obelisks you do not need to download
any firmware files separately. The Obelisk Scanner scanner contains the latest
firmware for Gen 1 Obelisks already.
- Gen 1 firmware updated to v1.3.2
- Fixed a response parsing bug that prevented miners from appearing in some cases.
- Gen 1 firmware updated to v1.3.1
- No longer attempts to install Gen 1 firmware on Gen 2 Obelisks.
Firmware updates to Gen 2 units can now be triggered from the scanner (NOTE: each
Gen 2 Obelisk downloads the firmware updates for itself -- the Obelisk Scanner
does not send the update to the miner as it does for Gen 1 Obelisks).
The Upgrade All button works for both Gen 1 and Gen 2 Obelisks. For Gen 2
Obelisks, the miners must have already downloaded the update files, which they
will check for automatically every 12 hours or on reboot.
MANUAL UPDATE is now called FORCED UPGRADE, and is only applicable to Gen 1
- Additional help comments were added to the interface.
In order for Gen 2 Obelisks to report what the latest available version is, the
scanner logs into the API, so if you've change the UI login credentials, you will
need to enter those in the UI.
- Window is now resizable and contents resize proportionally.
- Clicking the IP address of an Obelisk opens a browser to the login page.
- Display count of Obelisks found and counts of each type<./li>
- Table header stays fixed when scrolling.
- Sort list of Obelisks by IP address.
- Bug Fix: Some fields overlapped visually when checkboxes were enabled.
SD Card Images
You should normally use the Obelisk Scanner to update the firmware of your Obelisk.
SD card images should only be required if you have a unit whose configuration has
explains the process of flashing your Gen 1 Obelisk.
Bug Fix: The autodetect code would sometimes incorrectly determine a miner as DCR1 or SC1, resulting
in the miner failing to start or, if updating, it could sometimes install the wrong software.
Now the DCR1 software assumes it's on a DCR1 and the SC1 software assumes it's on an SC1.
Bug Fix: The REBOOT EVERY feature was not working.
- Hashrate improvements of 10% or more.
Format hashrate graph timestamps with the local time zone.
Added a NEVER option to the REBOOT EVERY setting on the MINING tab.
Moved the automatic reboot checking code out of cgminer into watchdog.sh so it is
DIAGNOSTICS tab now contains additional information to help with troubleshooting.
When copying the DIAGNOSTICS output to the clipboard, it is now copied as plain
text to avoid formatting problems when pasting into emails.
The MAX HOT CHIP setting can now be changed without rebooting.
Bug Fix: When using DHCP, if the Ethernet cable was not connected when the Obelisk
booted, then the unit would never obtain an IP address. You can now plug in a
connection later on and it will still get an IP address from DHCP.
New Feature: Add support for upcoming Siacoin hard fork. No miner configuration
changes are required to activate support for the fork.
New Feature: Allow setting a minimum fan speed. This is expected to help certain
Obelisks regain some of the speed loss from the last update. Some Obelisks work
better at lower temperatures, so setting this to 100% may allow those units to run
New Feature: Hashboard Info on the Dashboard tab now shows HOT CHIP TEMP. as well
as the MEASURED CHIP TEMP. The MEASURED CHIP TEMP. is based off an actual
temperature sensor that is installed on each Obelisk hashboard. The HOT CHIP TEMP.
is an estimate of the hottest chip on the board based on the MEASURED CHIP TEMP.
plus a delta that was determined from thermal simulations.
New Feature: Allow setting a maximum hot chip temp. This allows you to prevent
your Obelisk from running too hot. The default setting of 105C is expected to work
the best for most units, but in some situations you may want to reduce this.
NOTE: Reducing this may result in lower hashrates.
New Feature: Allow the Obelisk to be automatically rebooted after a certain period
of time from 0.5 hours to 24 hours. This is a failsafe to allow an Obelisk to
automatically reboot after running correctly for a certain period of time. Some
users were seeing the Obelisks stop hashing to the pool or lose network
connectivity after 12-24 hours. This should prevent that until the root cause of
the problem is found.
New Feature: Allow the Obelisk to reboot if hashrate falls lower than a specified
value from 100GH/s to 400GH/s.
New Feature: Allow the built-in genetic algorithm to be disabled (enabled by
default). This should only be disabled if your Obelisk has reached a high hashrate
in the past (with this v1.2.0 firmware), and is now frequently below that
hashrate. The best settings are automatically saved by the genetic algorithm and
will be reloaded at startup whether this feature is enabled or disabled.
New Feature: The watchdog.sh script, which runs automatically, now checks every 5
minutes to see if the Obelisk still has network connectivity. This is a workaround
for a bug that causes the eth0 interface to sometimes go down. The root cause of
this bug is still being investigated, but this should keep units online by
rebooting them if network connectivity is lost.
New Feature: A new Diagnostics tab has been added. When viewing this tab, a series
of diagnostic commands are run on the miner and the results are collected in text
format. You can use the COPY TO CLIPBOARD feature to copy this information and
then paste it into an email when contacting Obelisk tech support.
New Feature: Dashboard tab now shows some system information, even if cgminer is
not yet running.
New Feature: Fan speed now ramps up more smoothly when hot chips are detected.
New Feature: Date and time are now set at startup if there is a network connection
available. If no network connection is available, then date and time will not be
Bug Fix: MAC address is now correct and does not change.
Bug Fix: IP address assigned by DHCP stays the same now (a result of the previous
Bug Fix: Web UI no longer reports 503 errors or becomes inaccessible after a few
- Bug Fix: Miner no longer restarts every 30 minutes.
Bug Fix: Web UI session is now extended every time you perform an action. If you
stay on the Dashboard the session will remain open indefinitely, since it requests
updated statistics every 5 seconds.
Bug Fix: Number of rejected/stale shares is reduced (DCR1 units connected to Luxor
have +256 appended to the end of the WORKER string if the user has not already
Bug Fix: Expanded support for more Siacoin pools: Luxor, Siamining, f2pool,
toastpool and all forks of toastpool.
New Feature: Control loop now adjusts the speed of the fans dynamically. This
reduces the noise level of the miner and allows the chips to reach slightly higher
temperatures where they perform better.
New Feature: Pressing the front button briefly now sends an "IP report" or mDNS
packet. The Obelisk Scanner can listen for these messages to help identify a
particular Obelisk on the network.
New Feature: Pressing the front button for at least 10 seconds now resets all user
configuration (web UI login credentials, pool config, system config and network
config) and reboots the Obelisk.
New Feature: Hostname now appears in network mapping tools like nmap and nslookup.
New Feature: Obelisk model type and version number are now shown in the web UI.
Cosmetic: Hashrate graph was sometimes not drawn correctly (not filled in).
Cosmetic: Hashrate graph tooltip is now easier to read.
Cosmetic: Web UI page title changed from "Obelisk Customer Portal" to "Obelisk
SD Card Images
Gen 2 Obelisks have a built-in update mechanism and do not normally require you to
download the SD card images below. To update normally, login to the Obelisk and look
at the SYSTEM tab. If an update is available, it will have a red circle with an
exclamation point on the tab. You can then click the SYSTEM tab and click the Update
button to download and install the latest version of software.
If you have several Gen 2 Obelisks, the Obelisk Scanner also allows you to update multiple
units with a single click. Currently, the units must have already seen the update themselves
though, which they only check for every 12 hours or after rebooting.
explains the process of flashing your Gen 2 Obelisk.
- Changed max. reboot temperature from 80C to 90C to prevent repeated reboots that some miners were experiencing
in warmer locations.
- Improved update processing to prevent problems that could occur if an update package download was
interrupted partway through. The miner is now able to recover from this situation.
- Fixed a bug that could cause hashboards to lockup in theory (we've never seen this actually occur,
so this fix is proactive).
- Added a watchdog so that if any similar hashboard lockups ever occur, the hashboard should reset
automatically and start hashing again.
- Improved hashboard detection code at startup with retries and longer timeouts.
- Fixed the display of hashboard numbers when hashboards are missing, which resulted in non-sequential
indexes (e.g., if boards 1, 3 and 4 were installed in a 4-board SC1 Immersion unit). Previously the GUI would display
boards 1, 2 and 3, but would not display board 4.
- Added Hostname to the /api/info message that is sent when the Obelisk Scanner scans the network. The
v1.4.0 release of the Obelisk Scanner has been modified to show the hostname in addition to the other fields in the table.
- Added an "Identify Device" feature to the SYSTEM tab. Click the START FLASHING button to start alternately
flashing the red and green LEDs on the front of the miner. Click the STOP FLASHING button or press the front button on the unit to
stop the flashing. This is mainly useful in colocation facilities to help visually identify a unit on the racks.
- Fixed mDNS response so that it includes "Slim" in the name. Obelisk Scanner uses this to detect that the unit
is Gen 2. This only affected IP REPORTER (mDNS) scans.
- Renamed several temperature fields to avoid confusion. Previously, INTAKE TEMP. was sometimes interpreted
to mean the ambient air temperature, but it is actually a measurement taken under the heatsink on the intake side of the miner:
- INTAKE TEMP. --> FRONT HEATSINK TEMP.
- EXHAUST TEMP. --> REAR HEATSINK TEMP.
- EXHAUST TEMP. SETPOINT --> REAR HEATSINK TEMP. SETPOINT
- Improved error handling when work is passed to the hashboards. Previously a checksum error could prevent work
from starting on some hashboards. This only affected units with more than one hashboard.
- Fixed software update processing so that a failed download does not prevent another attempt at installing the
update. Previously, a failed update could cause miners to either be stuck at the previous version, or require refreshing the SD card.
- Fixed mDNS response to include the correct miner type and IP address. This message is sent when you press the
front button on a Gen 2 miner. The Obelisk Scanner receives it when running an IP REPORTER (mDNS) scan.
- Fixed color of the fourth board's stacked area chart in the hashrate graph. This bug was only
visible on prototype SC1 Immersion units.
- Implemented several internal improvements to the burn-in process for SC1 Dual and SC1 Immersion units.
- New Feature: Implemented automatic fan speed control. The code attempts to maintain a target Exhaust Setpoint by
spinning the fans slower when the temperature is too low or faster when the temperature is too high. Alternatively,
you can select a Constant Speed fan setting. Note that fan speed will be set to 85% during Autotune, regardless of
the fan mode.
- Change: Reduced minimum fan speed from 50% to 40% to allow for cooler environments.
- Improvement: Autotune algorithm now avoids extreme drops in hashrate while tuning.
- New Feature: Added RERUN AUTOTUNE button to the MINING tab to allow you to reboot the miner and perform
the automatic tuning again.
New Feature: The performance number for each hashboard can now be viewed and modified on the MINING tab. These values are initially
set by the Autotune process, but can be modified afterwards.
- Bug Fix: Rollback feature now works if you installed a new version on top of an older version. Note though
that if you have installed a specific SD card image, there will be no rollback option available unless you then install a later version
on top of that. In other words, you can only rollback to versions that were installed over top of an existing version.
- Improvement: Added several internal mechanisms to prevent and repair file system corruption that can occur when
rebooting or power cycling the miner.
- Bug Fix: Time zone, hostname, DHCP and custom network configuration can now be set properly.
- New Feature: Show pool difficulty and fan speed on the DASHBOARD tab.
- New Feature: Add a CHECK FOR UPDATE button to the SYSTEM tab to check the Internet for a new update package.
- Bug Fix: UPTIME is now shown correctly on the DASHBOARD tab.
New Feature: Implemented a performance tuning system that tries various
performance settings for the first 30 minutes of operation. After 30 minutes, the
best settings are locked in. During the tuning process, the hashrate will bounce
around as various settings are tested. After that, the hashrate return to the best
value found during tuning.
NOTE: We are still working on improving this
algorithm, and we have found that after running for about 40 minutes it can
improve hashrate if you decrease the fan speed to 50% for 5 minutes, and then set
it back to 70-85%. We are working on automating a fan speed tuning process as well
so that you do not need to do this manually.
Improvement: If the system detects that a hashboard has become unresponsive, it
reboots so that hashing can be resumed.
Bug Fix: The REBOOT EVERY option in the SYSTEM tab was using units of seconds
instead of minutes, which caused miners to reboot too soon.
Change: Established a minimum fan speed of 50% to protect the system from thermal
Change: Reset fan speed to 85% even if it was modified by the customer.
- The default fan speed was changed from 75% to 50%.